The results from Google if you search for MPs expenses are rubbish. Last week they had pages from the BBC first and the Telegraph 2nd – even though the Telegraph is the primary source of all this material. Today the results are even worse: they’re absolute garbage.
- In first place, we have the BBC, with one page from yesterday and from October 2004.
- Then comes the Guardian, with its MPs’-expenses landing page followed by a story from Saturday. That might be fair enough for 2nd place.
- Then theyworkforyou.com – tangentially interesting I suppose, but the page is dated 2004.
- Then the Daily Record from Saturday. I’ve nothing against Scottish newspapers, but really – ahead of the Telegraph?
- And finally, the Telegraph with one page from Sunday and its MPs’-expenses landing page (maybe that link will bump them up …)
Utter rubbish. I know there are 3 news stories listed above the normal results. And I know google is probably suffering because no mainstream news organisations link back to the Telegraph.
But for a topical news story, this set of web search results is really bad.
You might also like
- MPs expenses: Telegraph now 1st in Google’s web results
- Telegraph dropping like a stone in google results?
- Diane Abbott’s expenses exposed by crowd publishing
- MPs’ expenses: the best tools and resources on the web
- Google street view: which news sites linked?,
Leave a comment!