Do you still get “duplicate titles and meta descriptions” errors for pagination on your website? You’ve got to fix it! Google still recommends that Webmasters differentiate the descriptions for varying pages. But how would you get it done? We’ve got you covered! Here, we will discuss all you need to fix duplicate meta tags – meta titles and meta descriptions.
Why Fix Duplicate Meta tags?
In the past, meta tags often appeared under HTML Improvements in Google Search Console. That means that your website needs the HTML Improvement suggested. Afterwards, the GSC team stated under the HTML Improvements that “fixing the following can enhance your site performance and user experience.”
Of course, the feature has been discontinued, but you can’t afford to have these issues on your essential pages. Because as mentioned, Google still encourages differentiating the descriptions for several pages. Duplicate meta descriptions will hurt your pages. Therefore, fixing it must be a priority.
Tips To Fix Duplicate Meta Description (Using Yoast SEO Plugin)
You can avoid duplicate meta descriptions and meta tags by entering unique text in the meta tags field.
Method I: Using Yoast SEO plugin to fix duplicate meta description.
- Do the following:
- Got to WordPress Dashboard
- Click on the Yoast SEO plugin
- Click on Search Appearance > Homepage
- Inside the Meta description template, enter a text. Then append the meta description text with “%%page%%.”
After adding the variable called page, you would have solved the problem of duplicate Meta descriptions for multiple paginated pages.
Method II: This method isn’t often recommended. To implement this method, you should enable excerpts support on your WP website. Instead of appending with %%page%% in the Meta Description template, use %%excerpt%% %%sep%% %%%%page%%%%.
Tips To Fix Duplicate Meta Title Tags (Using Yoast SEO Plugin)
- Log in to your WP Dashboard
- Go to your Yoast SEO plugin
- From there, locate Search Appearance > Homepage
- On the SEO Title text, enter your text.
- Then, append the tile text with %%page%% at the meta description text. This will automatically address duplicate meta title tags.
Fixing Meta Descriptions Using Rank Math Plugin
Do the following:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard.
- Locate Rank Math
- From there, find Titles and Meta > Homepage settings
- Enter text in your meta description text and append it with %%page%% at the end of your text. Doing this will fix the problem.
How To Fix Duplicate Meta Title Tags In Rank Math
After getting to your homepage in the Rank Math plugin, append the Homepage Title. You will do this with %%page%%. Insert it at the end of the Homepage Title text.
Meta descriptions and Meta titles are essential for on-Page Search Engine Optimization. Therefore, the correct use of these Meta-tags is vital. Whether it is duplicate Meta titles or descriptions, short or long meta tags, it is crucial to fix them for better user performance and experience of your site. After resolving the issue, you can expect to wait for Google to re-crawl the pages and validate the fix.